A true classic in American delis, traditionally made with slices of roast beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut, this sandwich is truly bursting with flavor. Served on rye with a homemade Russian dressing, our version aims to be a tribute to tradition.
- Active time: 20 mins
- Total time: 20 mins
- ¼ cup (65 ml) mayonnaise
- 3 tsp (15 ml) chili sauce
- 1 small pickle, finely chopped
- a pinch salt
- a pinch pepper
- 8 slices whole grain rye bread
- 4 slices emmental cheese
- 4 slices havarti cheese
- 24 thin slices roast beef
- 24 thin slices of your favorite smoked meat
- 2 cups (500 ml) simple sauerkraut, wrung out
- 4 tsp (20 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 sliced pickles, for serving
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, chopped pickle, salt and pepper.
Place 4 slices of bread on a baking sheet. Cover each slice with 1 tablespoon of the Russian sauce prepared in the previous step. Add to each slice of bread 1 slice Emmental, 1 slice Havarti, 6 slices roast beef and 6 slices smoked meat. Divide the remaining Russian sauce among the 4 sandwiches. Top each sandwich with a slice of bread.
Heat half of the oil over medium heat in a large nonstick pan. Toast 2 sandwiches in the pan at a time, for 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining oil and sandwiches. Serve with the sliced pickles.