This kimchi baechu-based Korean soup is packed with flavor, easy to make and protein-rich, which makes it the perfect meal for those long winter nights.
- Active time: 20 mins
- Total time: 45 mins
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) kimchi baechu, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (65 ml) kimchi juice
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 0.66 lb (300 grams) pork belly, cut into pieces
- 2 tbs (30 ml) gojuchang
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cane sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 lb (400 grams) extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked jasmine rice, for serving
In a large pan, combine the kimchi, kimchi juice, onion, gojuchang, meat and sugar. Add the water. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 30 minutes.
Add the tofu and cook for 15 more minutes. Stir in the scallions, reserving a small handful for garnish.
Serve with rice.