How to ferment
FERMENTATION IN 4 EASY STEPS:
- Clean & sterilize crock.
- Place food in crock, pour in brine (leave ¾ inch headspace) & cover with ceramic weight.
- Affix ring, fill in water barrier & cover with lid.
- Leave to ferment per recipe.
Our fermentation crocks provides a specialized, anaerobic fermenting environment.
CLEANING & STERILIZING YOUR MORTIER PILON PRODUCT
- DO NOT use boiling water or very hot water.
- DO NOT put in the dishwasher.
The recommended method for cleaning and sterilizing is the same for all Mortier Pilon Fermentation Crocks, Brewing Jars and Canning Jars:
- Start by rinsing the inside of your Crock or Jar with lukewarm water from the tap.
- Add in a bit of vinegar and shake so the vinegar gets all over the inner wall of the Crock or Jar.
- Turn the Crock or Jar upside down above the sink to get rid of any excess vinegar. You do not need to rinse the remaining vinegar off as it promotes the growth of good bacteria.
- Should you need to clean the outside of the Crock or Jar, use a damp piece of cloth or paper towel.
Please note all utensils and accessories coming into contact with the food before and during fermentation should undergo the Cleaning & Sterilizing process outlined above. This includes the Mortier Pilon ceramic weight if using, along with any utensil used to stir the preparation.
Visit our recipe section to start making delicious sauerkrauts, pickles and kimchis...